A brand new recipe from vegan chef and author Mark Reinfeld. Jackfruit BBQ Tacos, no boring food here.
- 1 (14-ounce) can (11/2 cups) young jackfruit, drained well (7.9 ounces dry weight)
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup store-bought barbecue sauce or Apricot BBQ Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the jackfruit, onion, olive oil, garlic, liquid smoke, salt, and chipotle powder in a baking dish and mix well.
- Cover, place in the oven, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Add the barbecue sauce, mix well, and cook for 15 minutes. Stir well before serving.
- Add 1 tablespoon Cajun Spice Mix along with the onion.
- If you have more time, you can lower the temperature to 350°F and double the cook- ing time.
- Replace the jackfruit with crumbled tempeh.
If you love this recipe, why not try Mac N Cheez
For even more inspiration, Mark’s latest recipe book is out now.